Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why would I leave the job I have for one that's only a couple months?

OK so I have thought of some other questions I've been asked. Also if you have any you want answered please leave a comment by pushing the button that says how many comments the post has...(I will look into changing it to make it more user friendly later when I’m not so frazzled)

Why would I leave the job I have for one that's only a couple months?
           Well that answer is easy......IT'S ALASKA!!!!!!!!
          Not good enough answer? Well the months I will be there I will be making 800 more in that time frame than I do here. Also I'm in my early 20's and figure that soon I'll have to settle down and have a family, have a lease on a place and a job that I just can't leave. I've seen it a lot where couples have big plans of travel in their 20s but life gets a hold of them and they put it off until the kids are out of the house and by that time they’re in their 60s and then start their plans and as some people know at that age heath and the ability to do everything your heart desires is hard. Even with a man by my side in marriage that wants to travel (no I'm not married yet) I know that it all could be a pipe dream and right now I don’t have kids, a husband, or anything like a lease on a place that would keep me grounded in one place....also its only 5 months out of my life that will be gone. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel family and kids hold a person back, I love kids and family. But this is an opportunity that doesn’t come by at the right time in a person’s life. When I had applied for this job I did it without a thought in the world, because I figured that it wouldn’t happen. But when I received the call I had just gotten off work and was getting ready for bed when it happened. The next day I received an interview and job offer.
I knew right away that I would accept the job but I asked for a couple days to think about it and of course did the whole girly jumpy thing, called my family and got their thoughts. Then I had to attempt to sleep because I had to work that night and had stayed up for this call.

A little about my previous jobs I’ve worked and who I am:
-          I don’t leave a place unless I have another job and I ALWAYS give at lest a 2 week notice, I’ve been giving 3 weeks though
-          I'm a “push over” I gave my last day to be the day before good Friday but because we had my sister quit and another girl quit it left only 3 to work and I know they don’t have time to hire anyone to cover the shifts so I decided to stay longer
-          I also love money and overtime!

It seems most of the time that I’m always working but I think I’m good at my job and I have nothing to do so I work. Yes this makes socializing hard especially since I work 11pm to 7 am and sleep the day away, but I prefer 3rd to another shift!
When I started at my first hotel I was working every shift and knew how to do my job well, when the owners/GM went on vacation I would be put in charge even though I was to youngest at the age of 18. Along with working every shift I would also work split doubles, meaning work 8 hrs, go home for 8 and then work 8 more. The low pay and wanting to not work split shifts (at the time I was also a full time student along with full time worker) is what caused me to look for employment elsewhere.
That is how I ended up at my current job. Don’t get me wrong and think I don’t like my job, I love it but my place is where my heart leads me and right now it happens to be waiting for me in Alaska.  When my contract is over in Alaska I will be coming back home and reapplying for my job that I am leaving along with places that provide benefits.

Well I don’t know what else to say today.
Ohh other than I leave my town 2 weeks from today (May 4th!!) to excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment